Monday, January 25, 2010

Intercambio

Well, this past weekend, I tried something new - an intercambio. This is where I speak in Spanish with a spanish-speaking person and they speak in English - that way we both improve the languages we are learning! I did it with my roommate Karkour, who is from the south of Spain and it was great practice because we corrected each others mistakes. It seems like when you normally talk to people, in an attempt to be nice, they don't correct you, but this is exactly what I want! It was also good to work on my figures of speech and phrases that really sometimes make no sense unless you know how to use it. For example, one phrase to say something is messy is 'manga por hombro' which literally translates to 'a sleeve for a shoulder' which makes NO sense at all. Speaking with my friends that are learning Spanish like me, we can't pick up on these mistakes, so spending more time with real Spanish speakers will hopefully help me improve my skills. I am thinking about finding a few more Spanish people I know and doing intercambios, and who knows, maybe one day I will be fluent!

Hope you had a good weekend and your week is starting off great!

Besos!
Amanda

No comments: