Monday, May 21, 2012

My painting career comes to an end

As most of you know, this year I decided to sign up for an oil painting course.  My first 'work' was a scene painted by a famous Basque artist of San Sebastian.  It took me ohhh so long and being my first real painting ever (besides a still life exercise we did in class) I was quite proud of it.  In the end, I thought it was the perfect souviner to give to Grammy for having come to visit.

My second painting was personal as well - it is a scene near Joseba's old house that when I lived there in the summer, I used to pass everyday on the bike.  At low tide there was always this colorful but fading boat that sat on the muddy ground with a ladder to nowhere.  I can't explain why I love it so much but every time I passed it I just smiled a bit.

Since we don't live in the 'country' anymore, I decided painting this scene and hanging it in our house would be a great reminder of our wonderful days there.  While I only had 4 classes (about 1.5 hours each) I am quite happy with how it turned out.

Here you have the short evolution of the painting along with the original.  It's obvioiusly not going in any art exhibitions but it will hang in our home, so I think it's good enough for that :)




The Original

Day 1 - Putting the Color

Day 2 - Working on the foilage and rocks

Day 3 - Perfecting the rocks and doing the ground

Day 4 - Boat Boat Boat and ground


4 comments:

Mom said...

Yhat is really good honey. Who knew you had such a hidden talent. Xxoo

Magen said...

Oil painting is what I love to do as well. I love the painting you did, and I love that you kept a little photo diary of the progress :) its very beautiful!

Amanda said...

Thanks Magen! It turned out to be a really fun course. Would love to see some of your work too!

PC Travelogue said...

Just found this newer post as I have been away from your blog for a bit. Your artistic abilities are really developing and you need to be really proud of this latest work.

I hope that I read the title incorrectly - I hope that you keep up with this side of your life.

xxoo C