While I love spending the holiday season learning about how another culture celebrates the day, I do of course miss my own traditions. For those of you who have never spent a Christmas away from home, maybe you can't relate so much, but for those who have, you will agree that it's all in the details. Below are some of the things I have been dreaming of, besides a white Christmas.
- I miss cutting down our own tree and tying it to the roof of the car.
- I miss decorating it with my sisters, even arguing about who gets to put the star on top.
- I miss my silly ornaments that I made when I was in elementary school and the special ones my mom bought us each year.
- Most, I miss the smell of the tree. I 100% will buy a pine/fir smelling candle when I come home and save it soley for the holidays.
- I miss lights that TWINKLE. Mine only flash here and I really miss that slow color changing feature.
- I miss Christmas light looking - especially that street near Fred Meyer's that decorates like crazy - every house!
- I miss a house all dolled up with decorations - from lights to knick knacks.
- I miss my plastic bell that sings Jingle Bells and a variety of other songs in a very tinny melody.
- I miss peppermint candies, candy canes (mostly the rainbow kind), warm Starbucks coffee in my gloved hand and Christmas-theme colored candy of every sort.
- I miss my family's Christmas dinner of turkey, potatoes, homemade gravy, ham, pies pies and more pies.
- I miss our annual Christmas family reunion and my Auntie Marilyn's noodles and my cousin Joni's wreath cookies (I admit mine were tasty but nothing like hers!)
- I miss listening to Christmas music from the day after Thanskgiving in every place possible - on tv, the radio and every store.
- I also miss everyone else loving and knowing all the words to all the songs.
- I miss making a list for everyone I want to buy presents for and shopping til I drop to buy them all.
- I miss wrapping them all pretty, and having a huge selection of wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, etc.
- I miss sending something like 40 Christmas cards. Along with that, I miss being able to buy Christmas cards in a box instead of individually like you have to here.
- I miss being able to make a child's Christmas wishes come true with the Angel Tree.
- I miss opening presents with my family in our pajamas.
- I miss my Grammy giving us socks every year for Christmas.
- I miss Mickey's Christmas Carol, Elf, Frosty, Rudolph, Santa Clause and A Claymation Christmas.
- I miss that these movies are on nonstop and you always seem to have a tough decision deciding between which to watch on TV.
- I miss my mom reading a super old copy of the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve.
- I miss everyone seeming to be a bit cheerier - from the supermarket
to the gas station, every one seems to have a bit of Christmas spirit to
- Most of all I miss the people I normally spend the holiday with.
- I miss Ugly Christmas Sweater parties with friends, or even being able to find Christmas apparel somewhere.
- I miss my mom counting down how many more 'get-ups' we have until Santa comes. Only 5 more!
While these are obviously my personal Christmasy things, I am sure each and every one of you has a similar list that make your Christmas yours. So if you have these things right now, cherish them! If you don't, here is a quote that seems to make it better:
' From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another,
the warmth and joy of Christmas brings us closer to each other.' - Emily Matthews
Muxu from across the miles!